Friday, August 31, 2012

Name Game


Mostly people will say, "What a pretty name!" when they meet me because my first name is unusual. It's also pronounced differently than it's spelled, so there is an issue virtually every time someone reads my name aloud.

I've had a man argue with me that I'm pronouncing my own name wrong. It's my name. I know how it's pronounced. If you really have an issue, take it up with my mother.

If I introduce myself to people, then I'll generally have to repeat the correct pronunciation because they'll either shorten it, or have heard it as Maria or Brianna or a more common-sounding version of my name.

It's an issue for me. I won't even go into the intense teasing I endured in school. Based on my experience, I cringe when someone names their children something that is difficult to pronounce or spelled exotically because it has been such a hassle. My daughter's name is uncommon, but I'll be damned if it's not easy to read or pronounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment