Thursday, August 28, 2014

Comfort Zone

I'm not really sure how it played out this way, but in the last week I did two things that were completely out of character for me, plus one thing that is completely reckless.

First, I held a scorpion:


My face says it all.
Yes, it's real. I asked if the scorpion was a 'stingless' variety. (It's not.I asked if the sting hurt, you know...kind of like a bee sting? (The sting is similar to a bee's sting, except x50.I was reassured to learn that the scorpion sting was unlike the bite of the brown recluse spider. (The flesh doesn't rot.) I still don't know what possessed me to hold this critter...but I have photographic proof of my momentary lapse of good judgement.

Second, I went stand-up paddle boarding for the first time:


The paddle board rental company is called 'Sup'.
I assume this is short for 'What's up?'
Success! The former headbanger in me often confuses
with 'metal' hands for 'aloha' hands. \m/ \m/ 
There was some concern about a large swell coming in, which made getting out and coming back in more challenging. The rental guy told us that he didn't really recommend it for newbies, but it was our call. I decided that since I had psyched myself to drive down there and give it a try, that I'd better just go for it.

There is a reason this girl doesn't do triathlons anymore; I am terrified of the open water. I enjoy the beach, but I'm much more comfortable playing in the surf than I am going out into deeper water. It was almost better to have a sense of urgency; we were instructed to get into the water and out past the waves as quickly as possible. I was in the water and on the board paddling on before I had a chance to even think. I was so hyper-focused on getting past the waves, I didn't even notice if the water was cold or not. 

My friend Jessani told me, 'You're so athletic, you'll catch on really fast!' Her vote of confidence was very sweet, but I was convinced I would fall right away. My legs were shaking from the adrenaline and trying to keep my balance. I was definitely out of my comfort zone, and it took me a good 20 minutes to settle into some sort of a rhythm. Paddle boarding was one of the hardest things I've done in a long time, but I can't wait to do it again!

And the last thing: Are you ready for the completely reckless and unexpected?

I'm going to Hello Kitty Con in November:


Amy Poehler font: Yeah, that's right. I'm 46-years old
and I'm going to Hello Kitty Con. Jealous??
 

4 comments:

  1. Are you crazy!? I was watching the news the other day about the swell that they were having and I thought the people who were surfing it were nuts. I had no idea THAT is when you were going to try out paddle boarding for the first time. Hah! Kudos. You're awesome. I'm glad you liked it. I'm going to have to give it a whirl on my nice, quiet, current-free lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hindsight, I should have known better when I saw the volleyball net completely taken out by the waves and torn down in the sand. I am even more freaked out now that I've had some time to reflect on it.

      It kind of makes me realize that I am capable of more than I give myself credit for. Watch me go out on a calm day and never be able to stand up on the board...

      Delete
  2. GGSA showin' som blog lovin' :)
    Eats and Exercise by Amber
    WHOA - talk about adventurous! I would NEVER hold a scorpion and I am afraid of waves, (I got sucked into a riptide my Junior year of college and sprained my neck..) so I would sit both of these out, but GOOD FOR YOU for going out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on, Amber! It's so appreciated! #girlsgonesporty I'm (supposed to be) packing for my trip to the Disney half marathon since we leave this morning...but I will return the blog love when we get back :)

      You are the first and *only* person to address the fact that I'm holding a scorpion. I have no idea what possessed me. I am noticing a theme these last few weeks: barrel into a new thing without thinking first. Maybe smart, but maybe not...

      Looking forward to checking out your blog! Have a great three-day weekend!

      Delete