Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 10

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


I met a few kids and one of our favorite games was called ‘pet show’.  The housing didn't allow cats or dogs, but smaller animals were okay. One of the girls had a couple of guinea pigs, I had a rat and a cockatiel and another girl had a hamster. We would judge the animals on appearance and whether or not they could do any tricks.

The game was played in the large courtyard that all of the units opened up to, like one large communal backyard. I decided to bring out Bird first. It never occurred to me that he could actually fly. He was standing on the grass with the other contestants when he startled - and in an instant he was gone. 

I remember watching him fly up and around the courtyard...and then he flew out of sight. I had a sick feeling in my stomach. Devastated, I made the long walk of shame back home to tell my mom what had happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment