Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 9

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


I was crazy bad at math, so my mom hired a tutor to come to the house. I think he was a student at the university – his primary mode of transportation was bicycle. I was game for the first session or two, but after that I would ‘forget’ to be home at our designated torture, I mean…tutor session.  

He was relentless, however. I had been playing with a group of friends at the playground when he rode up, out of breath on his bike. He asked me if I’d forgotten that it was time for my tutoring. I was sheepish – it was so obvious that he’d busted me, “Oops! Yeah. I guess I forgot what day it was…”

He rolled his bike alongside us as we walked back to my apartment. I tried to walk as slowly as possible, and just hoped nobody saw us walking together. One of his pants legs were rolled up, so as not to get the hem of it caught in the bike chain and he carried some sort of satchel across his body. It was probably filled with math problems to torture me with. Since it had taken him awhile to track me down, by the time we finished the torture tutoring session it was dinner time.

To be polite, my mom asked him if he’d like to join us for dinner. He mentioned that he was a vegetarian so I thought I was off the hook when my mom told him we were having steak. To see him go at it, he didn't seem to mind eating the flesh of cows so much after all. Eventually, he stopped coming – mostly because I never showed up.  (Thank god.)

No comments:

Post a Comment