Monday, November 26, 2012

Day 26


For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go! 


My mom ran a childcare program at our grade school called MOMMA, although neither of us can remember what the acronym stood for. The program was child care for low income families and single parents.

It was a wonderful program. There were all kinds of fun and educational things to do: crafts such as macrame, finger painting, knitting, beading, and coloring. There were toys, dress-ups, board games, and a snack time. My mom even offered a cooking class - which was my favorite, because we got to eat whatever we made. One time, she brought in a curling iron to curl all the girls’ hair. I had never had my hair curled before. I looked so different that I cried when I saw my hair in the mirror. 

Because my mom ran the program, I was a bit of a show off. I've heard children like me described as ‘petulant’ - but as far as I’m concerned, it’s just a fancier word for brat

No comments:

Post a Comment