Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 21

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


We were required to watch a video that was appropriate for each gender, so girls and boys were separated during the movie. We were also required to have a parent or guardian sign a permission slip granting us the approval to view a movie about reproduction. 

For whatever reason, my mom took exception to the form. She had no issue about me watching the movie - but was enraged about the permission slip. It was too much ‘big brother’ for her, and she felt that the school district should show the movie without requiring signatures - so she refused to sign my form on principal.

This meant that when it came time to watch the movie, I had to leave the room. My teacher made me sit in the small teachers’ lounge in-between the two classrooms and quietly read until the movie was finished. I can tell you that as awkward as it would have been to sit with thirty girls and learn about menstruation, it was ten times more so NOT getting to sit with them. Everyone thought I was some kind of freak. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed by your commitment to this goal, even though I shouldn't be surprised. Awesome work, BB!

    And I've enjoyed reading thus far. I look forward to the next, and the next...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kenty. I actually can't believe I am a few days away from the end of this commitment.

    ReplyDelete