Friday, November 23, 2012

Day 23


For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


The entrepreneur in me saw dollar signs. If one rabbit sold for $40 and I had a boy and girl rabbit, I could make a mint! Wasn't there an expression about ‘breeding like a rabbit’? I had visions of breeding and selling beautiful purebred Netherland Dwarf bunnies.

The back yard was separated into to two parts; a brick patio and then a fenced off grassy area behind the house. Ann helped me build several rabbit runs out of chicken wire. One of my friends gave me her enormous white  rabbit named Boo. Boo Bunny was almost 15 lbs., and she had a large cowl under her chin. I adored her.

I bought one more rabbit from a pet store that was a Rex. He had with a gorgeous, dense velveteen coat and weird curly little whiskers. Naturally, I named him Rex. Then I sat back to watch nature take its course.

Nothing happened. I saw lots of rabbit sex with virtually no results. The rabbit runs weren't very well-built and the bunnies were constantly getting out. Solar Snow managed to get inside the crawl space under the house, and I was convinced that she’d buried a litter in there. I spent several claustrophobic hours crawling under the house, but found no signs of a litter. Someone told me that if rabbits feel threatened, they were known to eat their young. 

****

I couldn't believe my eyes. My synapses were firing and misfiring, and I kept trying to figure out how Boo had gotten pregnant. My gaze settled on Bun and I slowly realized that my little man had made his move on Big Momma.  It certainly didn't matter to him that she was a different breed or that she had at least 8 pounds on him; Bun went right ahead and rocked Boo’s world.

1 comment:

  1. Whoops! I just noticed that there are two Day 23 posts. Guess I was kind of punchy?!

    ReplyDelete