Monday, November 5, 2012

Day 5

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


When my mom moved back to her hometown, she rented a little room on the same property owned by her friends. I loved it there. It was a little bohemian enclave. They had fruit trees and it was there that I learned to love loquats, which are a little fruit similar in flavor to a peach. There was more seed than there was fruit, but that didn't keep me from repeatedly eating so many that I made myself sick. 

Pat went to high school with my mom, and he and his wife, Jenny lived in the main house. I remember Jen was particularly excited because she had just bought a blender. She couldn't seem to stop talking about it, and offered to make us all kinds of delicious beverages and smoothies. 

I decided the only way she’d stop driving us all crazy over the fucking blender was to steal the blade out of it. I buried it in the garden underneath the steps of our bungalow.   

It turned out I was wrong; stealing the only part that made the blender operable only made Jen talk about the blender more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment