Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 19

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


Common sense should have told me to stop before I lost another pet, but the next day we resumed our game. I brought out the only other pet I had left, Rat-Oh. Rat-Oh was my first real pet I owned. He had the sweetest nature even if his balls were totally gross.

At some point in our game I got distracted and before I realized it, I’d done it again. Rat-Oh was gone. My friends helped me scour the courtyard to no avail. This time I decided against saying anything to my mom. Several hours later, I came across several women standing near the manager’s office who were obviously agitated. One of the gardeners was standing next to an overturned trashcan. I asked him what was going on and the gardener told me that he had trapped a rat.

The gardener had really trapped a wild rat?! I told him that I didn't believe him, so he lifted the edge of the trashcan so I could get a little peek.  I was surprised that the rat he’d found was my own. I cried, “Rat-Oh!” and scooped him up. The adults were shocked as I walked away with a large rat perched on my shoulder. After that, my friends and I decided it would be better to stop playing Pet Show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment