Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 15

For each day of November, I am going to post an excerpt of the novel I'm working on for the next 30 days through National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal is to reach 50,000 words in 30 days. And, go!


I spent a large amount of time unsupervised. Maybe it was more common at that time or that most of my friends also had lived with only one working parent – but it seemed natural to leave for school in the morning, and not come home until after dark. I don’t remember ever having or doing any homework.

I rode my bike around, often stopping at a local ethnic restaurant and begging for falafel ends. These were the ends of the pita bread that had been cut off, and they were ordinarily thrown away. I’d scour the free box for clothes and look for loose change around the post office. Any money I found would be spent at the Rexall Drug store on candy. Everyone knew me; I was like the poor version of the children’s story, Eloise.

No comments:

Post a Comment